Most of my working life people have thought I was still at my last job or even a few jobs back or still in another state or still living abroad. I've pretty much gotten used to the question, "So you still at/in "Insert name or place". I change jobs a lot. I'm that person that you read about in Time. I realized the other day that a lot people probably still have no clue what I'm doing for work right now or if I'm even working at all.
So here's the skinny. I was not working for about 6 months, and it was really really great. While off work, I passively looked for work and went on about 4 or 5 job interviews but wasn't not offered any of the full time jobs. That was, for the most part, just fine with me because I wasn't certain I was truly ready to go back to full time.
In September I started teaching ESL again part time. It's a great gig and right in Willimantic. I had forgotten how much I love working with adult students. Even though my lesson planning right now leaves a little to be desired the students still come, they still participate and they learn. I've met some really amazing people over the past few months. People whose lives my work has a direct impact upon. I strive every moment to empower through both teaching them language but also by treating them as they treat me with kindness and respect.
On the 12th of December I went off to north Windham to watch one of my students dance in a celebration of the Virgin Guadalupe (If you don't know about her, just click here). Little did I know when I left my house at 9:45 pm that I'd be out until around 2:00 am. I guess I missed the part where the processional would start at 10 pm, then there would be a midnight mass, then food and then dancing. But even though I was not prepared for such a long or outing it was amazing. The church is a truly Mexican church, all white stucco with wooden pews and a beautiful altar. When I arrived the chapel was full of roses and many worshipers brought even more. A
As a Caucasian and a speaker of English as a first language, I was a very obvious minority at the church. Many times during the hour and a half wait for the mass to begin I could feel the weight of this on my shoulders. I hoped no one would try to talk to me. I really felt embarrassed and ashamed that at not being fluent in Spanish. It's not as if I haven't had the time, the resources or the opportunities to learn the language. On a number of occasions before the mass began, I contemplated leaving. I knew I needed to stay and that I would grow from experiencing these emotions. Grow both as a person and as a teacher. Then as the mass began and tiny chapel brimmed with people the mariachi band began and I shared my song sheet with my neighbor and sang Mananitas Tapatias, I knew I'd made the right choice.
(Plus, the tamales I got the eat afterwards were amazing).
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 Enlightened thoughts:
Post a Comment