Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Birthday cards

I can remember the bewilderment upon the receiving the card in the mail. A birthday card from my brother for my daughter. On her 6th birthday, we had a first.

I spied the card in my overspilling top of the desk organizer this morning and it made me smile. (I'm pretty sure that Don actually brought it into work to share when it first arrived). So I share the best recycled birthday card EVAH.


Was I right or was I right?! 100% Awesome!

We've never been card senders. Truth is I'm pretty sure I've never sent my brother a Birthday card in my adult life. Of course is birthday is December 27th so I might have uttered "Happy Birthday" to him in person on a few occasions, but I doubt a card.

In that same unkempt organizer, I keep this card. My brother sent it to me a few years back. It was sent during the hazy days of my father's cancer. A time when we talked a bit more often and started to share a few things. On the back "it would be nice to hear from you some time $500 bottle of wine."




Pretty sure it was the first card he'd sent me as an adult.

In this way my brother and I are so very a like. We don't get the cards out. We don't call a lot. We might not even send email. But it doesn't mean we don't love you or that we're not thinking about you. WE might have learned this from our parents.

He also sent my dad 61 cards (I think it was 61 maybe it was 56 but whatever) on his birthday. One card for each year that he'd never gotten him a birthday card. I was living with my parents at the time and my father smiled and chuckled every day a card arrived.

The unexpected in my mind sometimes trumps Miss Manners.

NOTE: I'm not saying I don't like Birthday cards, because I do.



Bookmark and Share

0 Enlightened thoughts: