So I've spent the majority of my time over the past few days engaging in a new social media network. Not quite sure how I ended up there, but it's been fun and a total time suck. The general concept is that you sign up introduce yourself via video and then start watching other videos that people have sent in. Then you have conversations (asynchronously) using video. I've really enjoyed the network and am hoping that I'll document some of the ideas for educational specifically ESL projects that came to me a I fiddled around all weekend. What I really like about this community and what differentiates it from other communities is the video aspect. Not only do you see people in their homes, but you see people's families hear their children and spouses. Some of the posts are directed specifically for people and some of the posts are general but these are all shared to the whole community. There's a private function, but I haven't used that, yet.
The kids joined me yesterday for a little video. Here was their choice of song for us to sing.
And then is was the response they received back within 3 minutes of posting our video.
When they saw the response, their faces lit up and R said, "They liked us".
There's a transparency within these new social media networks that I like. Fewer masks, fewer layers, more genuine character. Hmmm something to ponder.

2 Enlightened thoughts:
Hi Sarah! Glad you joined and enjoyed the community. You'll learn to fight the time sucking part quickly (otherwise you'll quit, that's what some do).
It can be an interesting tool for ESL when groups are in place, I am sure.
It has shown another very interesting advantage over the fora and boards type of communities too in allowing opposite or difficult points of view to be expressed in such a civilized way that confrontation becomes another option to learn how to peacefully change points of view and... learn from others (may they be from other opinions, cultures, nationalities, religions, beliefs, you name it).
I am very confident that the potential laying there should be celebrated. See you!
@Otir
Thanks for the wise and wonderful comments. I agree that the potential of seesmeic for community building and for conflict transformation. it it a wise, witty and wonderful community and I feel honored to have found my way there.
Sarah
Post a Comment