Since my iPod broke I've been listening to my father's mp3 player. It's been great listening to Roy Orbison, Lucinda Williams, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Willie Nelson, and the Cowboy Junkies. The music has brought me to so many wonderful places and times in my life.
Roy Orbison has been listened to the most . . . My dad loved Roy Orbison and I've never listened to it so much. I've pounded the pavement over the last few months and I have really just fallen in love with Orbison's voice and style. I get it now.
I love music for so many reasons and on so many levels. I have a tendency to listen to whole albums over and over and over again for about a month long period. Then another album arrives and replaces it. Sometimes I drive myself nuts, bu wthat I love about this habit is that when I hear songs I can immediately connect them to a time. Since my memory as a whole is really bad, the music helps me to remember. For me the Jim Croce "The Day the Music Died" brings vivid memories of the island of Corfu. Anything by Lou Reed or the Velvet Underground makes me think of my brother. I think of playing darts when I hear the Clash. Kind of random.
I love the soundtrack of my life. I love the connection with others through song. I sat today at the a local school event wondering what was missing, then I realized there was no music. You gotta have music.

0 Enlightened thoughts:
Post a Comment