My dad was a supreme sleeper. As a child I remember that he would sleep in so late on Saturdays that to my memory, I think he woke around 2 pm. Might not have been 2 pm, but it felt that way. He had mastered sleeping in. Blessed with a wife who woke early everyday no matter whether it was a weekend or not he'd also developed some skill protecting his sleepy time. My dad had the ultimate weapon, an invisible shield of fart, stinky feet, and coffee/cigarette breath. I mean, what did you really need from him to expose yourself to that. Money. Yeah, for money, you'd do.
Having blessed us(the kids) with the "Cook" ability to sleep my father was hard to wake up. My mother spent many years waking him up (and us too). Finally sometime in the late 80's or early 90s she was tired of it and developed a new strategy. She bought a water gun.
So one morning my mom got up early did "her thing" and then had to wake my dad up. She gently urged my dad to get up numerous time but to no avail. So she brought out the big gun, well water gun. She let him have it. Now once he was hit, he popped what up with a confused look. They laughed and my mother's point was made. As I recall the story, my father went right out and bought an even bigger "Super soaker" style water gun pretty quickly. So that the next time my mom went to wake my dad armed with her little water pistol he'd get her . . . . He lay in wait, long awake just waiting for her. Then when she came in with her little water pistol she was greeted with a royal soaking. They laughed and both ended up pretty wet.
I remember thinking that was just about one of the funniest things I'd heard. I remember also thinking that my parents had completely lost it. Now, married with two kids, I know that there lot of ways my father's "tendency to sleep" could have played out and a lot of ways that my parents could have handled the situation. They chose lovingly, honestly and with humor.

0 Enlightened thoughts:
Post a Comment