This post is about what happened to my camera during the trip.
It gots broken.

blurry desk
I'm not sure what happened exactly. I was able to take a couple of pictures and then boom, it wouldn't allow the lens to retract. The big caution sign with the exclamation mark in the middle appeared on the screen and the camera screamed LENS ERROR at me. I fiddled with it a lot and was finally able to get the lens to retract. However, the camera has not been the same since. It only takes blurry pictures. I know that it means it's not focusing properly, but I don't know anything about the inner working of the camera to be able to actually fix it. What I do know is that if I tried to research fixing it, I'd be lost in the internets tubes for weeks and probably just break it (the camera not the internet) more. (I love that phrase, break it more.)
So here's my dilemna. I need a working camera. At this point I feel naked if I don't have a camera and while the technology has improved on cellphones and the quality of the pictures is better cellphones should always be a back up and never your main camera.
My first thought upon realizing the camera was borked was to go buy a new one. I hopped onto Amazon and drooled for awhile. However, once I told Don that the camera wasn't working properly he said, "Bring somewhere and get it fixed". Hmmm, novel idea. Don't just buy a new one, fix the one you already have.
This reminded me of an article I read about how most gadgets are built these days with very short life spans. Built to expire and feed our consumerist tendencies. Many are often obsolete before the average person even purchases them. The expectation is that you will buy a newer version of some gadget that you already have within two years. That life span is even shorter for those who are really functioning on the cutting edge of technology.
(I'm not directly quoting article here, but just going on memory so don't sue me for not having a specific link to reference. I did try to find the article. But time's fleeting as I type.)
I'd love to get this camera fixed, but I don't even know where I could bring it. We used to have a camera shop in downtown Willi, but they closed up shop a few years ago. My instincts tell me that the market for repairing point and shoot digital cameras, like mine, is not that big because we now live is such a disposable society. I don't know. The reality is I really shouldn't spend the money on a new camera and I should figure out how to get this one fixed. How I'll do this, I do not know.

cameras and phone on my desk -picture taken with blackberry camera

3 Enlightened thoughts:
I think the camera shop moved to Colchester or somewhere else with a C. They didn't close. Or, at least, they didn't close the last time I heard of them. Then there's that little place in East Hartford off the Governor Road exit.
I have an old, old camera I have to bring in (the camera on which I learned to take pictures, in fact.)
@meg - you are correct I remember now that they're in Colchester. We actually have an old 35mm in the basement which Don's dad gave us which I'd like to have cleaned up an put into working order. I still need to learn how to pictures. I remember when my mom took a photography class we have a great shot of Guinness as a kitten with his tongue out. Mmmm warm fuzzy memories.
Post a Comment