Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Refelctions on (un)employment

Woah, when it become February 17th.

Well, we're day 2 into February vacation: a mainstay of every child's school year. And what are we up to, hmmmm, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I spent Monday morning getting my share od alone time, grocery shopping and running errands. While out gallivanting I took in the sun, returned movies to Blockbuster, contemplated life, redeemed bottles and ate vegan macrobiotic sushi.

On one of my many stops I noticed something frozen into the icy dirty mound of the parking lot. Upon closer inspection, I realized what it was: the stub from an unemployment check.

unemployment stub - frozen winter

It struck me at that moment that I lost my job just about a year ago. Last year at this time I would not have recognized that piece of paper in the dirty tundra. I felt compelled to take a picture.

There's something in this hastily strewn unemployment compensation stub that represents the reality of unemployment for so many these days. People discarded into the cold; peopled pushed out of the parking lot with the snow and the dirt; people left in a dirty frozen mound trampled and disregarded.

Luckily, this is not my story. Our social capital has buoyed us and continues to abound even if our economic coffers aren't quite as full. It is during these times that I feel really lucky to have spent the remainder of the afternoon with the kids at the playground making fairy houses, running around, and lying on the grass. These are certainly precious commodities.

DSCN4491

Bookmark and Share

0 Enlightened thoughts: