Monday, April 7, 2008

Bob the volleyball player, the rebuilder of homes, the chopper of wood , fish chef extraordinaire in fact all around chef extraordinaire . . . .


Aloha nui to each and every one

From Mauli Cook

This was a letter I wrote for a big birthday party that was held to honor Bob. I have just read the blog again and want to add something of my love for Bobbie to it but my heart is too tender to create something new so I would like to just share these memories as I wrote them during a happier time.

”I believe the invite was for A Bob story but, with a brother like Bob, how can I limit myself to just one. So please excuse (or enjoy) while I revisit my most vibrant memories of my bro Bob.

First big one – on the playground at that catholic school in New York across the street from where our family dog Span used to jump out of the window like Rin Tin Tin. Anyway, back on the play ground, in my uniform crying and feeling really bad because somebody had been bullying me. I think it was the old” how would you like to eat some sand routine”. Big brother Bob to the rescue .I don’t remember what if anything he did to the other kid just that he sought me out to comfort me and took the time from his recess to hang by the fence and help me feel better. When I picture how he looked it reminds me of Josh (with hair)

Flash forward many years to Separatist Rd. I am seeing cheeseburgers and chocolate cake at 1 in the morning, remembering how much I liked to cook for my brothers. Bobby stands out as the one who would come home late and enjoy whatever I would prepare.

This it seems to me would usually occur on Saturday night. On Sunday AM I would have the less desirable task of going upstairs…holding my nose against the pervading fog of aromas, most of which had to do with the passing of gas after extreme indulgence in yeast filled beverages, to attempt to awaken my adorable brothers to get up in time for church. They were much more cheery about me feeding them, than me waking them up. I seem to remember things being thrown about the room and occasionally a forbidden word or two being uttered.

There is a Bobby in high school memory involving him wearing tights, being the only guy surrounded by a bevy of babes in tights in the modern dance club. He performed a Shakers dance which involved much jumping. Hints of Bob’s independent attitude and following his own path….

Now college days… Bob introduced me to some of the classic college protocol…smoking ciggies and drinking coffee at the downstairs Chinese place….the Campus Restaurant. Then on Fridays or whenever you go drink beer at this other place outside of town by the airport.

Big event in the college years was MERRILL! I remember meeting Merrill and the love struck happy happy look on Bobbies face.

From there the Bob stories start to become Bob and Merrill stories and some even just Merrill stories…

Eagleville…the kids, Merrill’s bread, Robart upstairs, Babette the big, the Meehans next door, the store.

Bob sitting with Sarah on his lap in the living room in Storrs and reflecting on the many wonders of working independently.

Bob so kind and good to talk to when the Judge wasn’t feeling well. Then towards the end coming down to Fla and finding some of his siblings (to remain unnamed) walking around the Judge’s little apt. in various and sometimes complete stages of undress. It was Florida in the summer mind you. Anyway I do remember Bob reporting this particular detail of his stay to Merrill in an enthusiastic manner. In a short time however, Bob gave in to sibling pressure ( or role modeling ) and indulged in a little naked abandon himself, all the while proclaiming to whoever was listening….”I am walking around naked!”

I remember the Judge’s funeral celebration quite vividly and Bobby is one of the fond images that stands out along with dancing with my sis, that horse drawn procession and Allie’s sensitive documenting of important family moments.

Fast forward to the last many years and I love the images of Sarah and Don’s wedding the most. Such a happy time. One of my very favorite pictures is Bob dancing with Sarah. Also actually have a pix of Johnny dancing with Billy and Chrissie. And Merrill’s cake and so much more.

Bob the volleyball player, the rebuilder of homes, the chopper of wood , fish chef extraordinaire in fact all around chef extraordinaire, skier of life, writer of very short but funny emails.

Going to visit Bobbie means to enter into the wonderful loving family he created and share food and good times with so many wonderful friends. I know that you all are doing that together this weekend and I send you all so much love, hugs, laughs, more hugs, a few hula and some silly songs. I am going to be working on all my proposals that are going to get me over to be with you this summer for a nice long visit. So I will be looking forward to that.

0 Enlightened thoughts: