Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I don’t know if the footwear ever improved . . .

Shared by Susan Gleason

(I'll be looking for the yearbooks again to see if I can get a good image)

My heart is so heavy with sadness, but it is also glad that I was able to be Cookie’s pal so many years ago. There are so many memories it’s difficult to condense them. I don’t know if the footwear ever improved over the years, but before the style was fashionable Cookie’s sneakers were usually ventilated. I think they were Converse high tops. Who else would think up a barrel as a costume for a dance at E.O. Smith, our alma mater? There was never a dull moment. At one party Cookie fell asleep after consuming too much beer and someone (it might have been John Montgomery) shaved off half of his beard. I don’t think there was joyful noise when he woke up. Our mothers both worked at Judith Harmon, a woman’s clothing store in Storrs, that I’m sure has long since closed down. Cookie’s house on Separatist Rd. was always open; never a locked door. His parents were comfortable, just like him. What a wonderful way to live a life.

After we graduated from EOS, Cookie and David Parrish bought an old ambulance they named Asthma, and went on an adventure to California. They made it back, but sadly I’ve forgotten the tales they told. .

After college, when I moved away, eventually to California, I saw him once when he was here doing some consulting. We had dinner and walked around San Francisco for hours. Nothing had changed and it was as though we had seen each other the week before. The same at our E.O. Smith reunions.

What fun we had and my life was blessed to have known him.

So, I’ll lift a glass of wine and toast to you my friend. May you rest in peace

0 Enlightened thoughts: