Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Stretching and commenting

Stretching.

As a teacher, a trainer and a trainer of trainer I like to use the metaphor of stretching to illustrate part of the learning process. The concept of stretching relates well to learning. The first part of stretching is the act of just doing it. I know very few people who stretch enough or even at all. So just start, the same with learning something new or learning how to do something differently, put yourself out there and give it a go. Start from where you are and work gradually but diligently --- more often you stretch the more you improve your flexibility over time.

It's really Vygotsky's constructivist theory of zone of proximal development, but if you approach people with that language they just tune you out, so I use stretching.

So, why am I writing about this? What does this have to do with anything? You might be wondering. I touched on this topic in Why Blog? Part Deux. and part of my journey and healing process in writing this blog is to continue learning. I see learning in everything, it's just a part of who I am. I must have gotten MA in Education for some reason. For me this an opportunity to practice technology integration, creative writing, blogging, and reflection while focusing on bereveament and searching for "zen" for lack of a better word.

So, I've decided to stretch and engage in a even more experiential learning by joining a 31 day comment challenge. It's the brain child an edublogger, Sue Waters and I found out about it through Michele Martin at The Bamboo Project a blog I read everyday and one that played a heavy role in the research phase of getting this blog off the ground.

My personal goal is to comment on at least three blog every day. Hopefully this will get me past the "what would my comments add to the dialogue" insecurity that's plagued me both in face to face and virtual interactions. I mean, you have to at least try, right?!

6 Enlightened thoughts:

Lovekandinsky said...

Sarah, I'm so glad that you're joining us! I think that the "just do it" mentality of commenting daily may really help you get over the hump. And when you see how much bloggers love to see a comment, that will definitely be a good incentive to keep going!

Sarah said...

Michele,
How true your words ring. Every time i see a comment I get excited. I send huge thanks to Meghan Dahn who leaves comments for me all over the Web 2.0 topography.
I added some new blogs to my reader am am certainly gearing up for the challenge.

Meghan Maguire Dahn said...

Well, shucks. I'm happy I get to see you in real, corporeal life tonight, too!

Dogtrax said...

Your blog is yet another reference to the Bamboo Project, and so it seems like this Comment Challenge has at least pointed me in the direction of a blog that many people read, but which I had no idea even existed.
So, thank you.
Kevin

Sarah said...

Kevin,
Pleasure to have been a part of your discovery

Sue Waters said...

Hi Sarah

Welcome to the Comment Challenge. So that all the posts generated from the Challenge come to one location we need your post to be found by technorati. Can you get you to go to Technorati and claim your blog? You need to sign up to Technorati to do this. Once you have done this when you write posts can you tag highlighted on the challenge wiki?