Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Life at the bus stop
I've been thinking lately a lot about quality of life. I'm so lucky these days to be an active participant in my life again. One of my favorite parts of my day is going to Mena's daycare everyday at noon time to gather her and her friend, together and get them on the bus. We hang at the bottom of the driveway and play games and chat. There's a really fun game they play where we pretend that the bus is coming. One of the girls acts as a little spy peaking out of the the bushes to see if the bus is coming and the other girl pretends to be that girl. Here's an example of how this plays out. If Mena is the spy then Bailey is waiting on the driveway wearing Mena's backpack. Mena goes into the woods and peaks around a tree and then yell, "Aaaah, Russ's bus is coming". Bailey then, being Mena, skips to the line on the driveway behind which you must wait for the bus. The first time they played this I nearly cried, as Bailey had Mena pegged with the skipping. She skips everywhere and Bailey knows that just what Mena does. Good friends see that kind of stuff. Easy to see why that's a great part of my day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 Enlightened thoughts:
I miss CCC so much. I really think that working there at various point over the years was the best job I could have had. I've met so many incandescent young people, Mena and Bailey, of course, among them.
I wish I could make it for the alumni reunion on Saturday, but I will be volunteering for the launch of a new Norton anthology of contemporary world poetry at the Hartford Public Library.
Amazing, the range of activities life can offer up to us...
I think it's hitting me hard these days as I realize our time there is ending with Mena finishing up this June. I love walking in there and the kids saying "Hi, Mena's mom" or "Hi, Robert's mom" over the years it truly helped me adjust to my new identity. Plus the hugs are endless.
Post a Comment