Friday, April 25, 2008

The renovation and learning curves

I've become the designated "documentalist" of the Separatist Rd renovation. This new "hat" from my perspective has meant that I learn how to optimize my digital camera, learn Keynote, and continue to learn more about iMovie. Add this to the number of different Web 2.0 applications that I'm discovering and trying to figure out and the marathon I'm preparing to run, and the whole thing becomes slightly daunting. So, my desire to learn lots of things at the same time as I try and log lots of miles has slowed me down a bit in getting things posted. But my mom gave me the Bach flower remedy Hornbeam for procrastination and I seem to be accomplishing a number of things.
On Wednesday I sent about 2 hours fiddling with Keynote to make a presentation with the photos which I hoped to just simply upload to the blog. Never assume . . . Keynote is not compatible with Blogger. So then I exported the presentation to Powerpoint figuring that'd work. Then I tried to upload the Powerpoint to slideshare so that I could link it through slideshare to my blog. Well, slideshare wouldn't upload. I tried three times, became frustrated and decided to pursue another avenue. Well, there's not much available when Blogger wants you to use other Web 2.0 based applications for photos ala flicker, picasa, and photobucket to create photo album style slideshows and you have a presentation. Additionally, the slideshows are then a different widget on your blog and not a part of a blog post. Well, all of this learning has taken me days. So I decided to just go back to iMovie where I've been having so relative success and try and learn a couple of new features of that software.


( -- this paragraph above of the post was edited on 4/26 when I remembered a step I'd forgotten. The part about trying to use slideshare first. I knew I'd created a presentation for some reason. That was it to try slideshare.)

If the paragraph above confused you, don't worry about it. There's a lot of new vocabulary to learn as you embark on a Web 2.0 publishing. I'm writing them here so that I can hopefully use the term in the future and sound like I know what I'm talking about. That's a part of what I'm working on right now. Learning, learning and learning. It's my passion, I've just decided to apply it to a new area, technology. Don came home last night and commented that he'd said to to the other teachers at school, "Sarah's not working, but she's working". Nothing truer could be said, I'm doing some of the best work I've ever done these days.

So here's the iMovie -- I added music as that's my signature these days. As an exercise, I'm also going to post the pics to flickr and picassa so that I can try my hand at tagging. Then I'll see if I can link it all to facebook and youtube and sort out this seamless applications stuff I keep reading about.

1 Enlightened thoughts:

storm said...

The tribulations and trials had a happy ending. Nice video!
storm