Monday, April 7, 2008

Those moments pop into my head from time to time and they make me smile every single time


Shared by Steve Garrett


I had the good fortune to meet your dad only a couple of times but he made a lasting impression on me. I don’t feel worthy of telling Bob stories but I wanted to share with you the couple of times I did meet him.

I remember when we were at your house a couple years back watching the super bowl with you all. Merrill and Bob were there. I really don’t remember even who was in the super bowl or who won. Probably the Patriots. What I do remember is sitting in your basement with Merrill and Bob and feeling very warm and comfortable. I remember discussing with Merrill Ryan’s history with serious Kroop cough and how the recommended remedies didn’t seem to have any effect when he was suffering from it. Merrill knew the recommended ones I was explaining how instead of moist warm air treatment it was the cold dry air on the way to the emergency room that seemed to work much better. Bob who was quiet up to that point said matter a factly “Well Ryan just has Backwards Kroop”. To this day that will pop into my head at random times when I am driving along alone or where-ever and I will chuckle to myself and feel the warmth of that moment all over again.

The other time was picking up Ryan at CCC one day when he was 3 or 4. Bob was there picking up Robert. We were both waiting for the boys to finish their obligatory end of the daying playing. Bob was sitting in one of the kid size chairs waiting patiently. Ryan at that time was very interested in asking people how old they were. He asked Bob how old he was and Bob smiled and answered him. Then Ryan asked Bob if he was old enough to be a Dad. Bob’s smile grew very large and said “I’m old enough to be two or three of those”.

Both of those moments gave me a chuckle at the time and I instantly liked him. What is more telling I think is that those moments pop into my head from time to time and they make me smile every single time.

He definitely made an impression on me. I wish I could have know him more. And reading the Bob stories confirms in a very deep way that I was lucky to at least have a glimpse and some shared moments with a very special man.

0 Enlightened thoughts: