Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The renovation


I was told to take pictures of the house yesterday as some significant progress is being made on the renovation on Separatist Rd. Actually, the house looks different today but I didn't get to take any shots today. I'll be sure to tomorrow. My mother says that my father would have been documenting the whole thing. No truer a statement could have been made as I'd just watched the video of my father removing the extension cord in 1999 which had supplied power to the living room for many years.

It's quite interesting (for lack of a better word) to see the progress as it's hard to believe that it has been 16 years since the fire on Separatist Rd in 1992. The work has been done in stages and with lots of love. Meticulous, of painstakingly slow love.

The effort which it has taken to rebuild this house struck me whole heartedly when I was looking for a clipboard while preparing for the wake and funeral. I searched high and low for a clipboard and finally I found one in my father's office. The clipboard had some yellowed sheets on it and as I perused them I realized that they were lists of church members who were/are/had been willing to help and their specific areas of expertise. I'm sure my father added the "area of expertise" portion for as much as he appreciated the support, he wanted the right person for each specific job. There are so many people who readily contributed their help in so many forms at that extremely difficult time and over the many years.


0 Enlightened thoughts: