Monday, April 21, 2008

Why blog? Part Deux


Just a quick post this morning, as I have so much housework finish that I can truly only allow myself to procrastinate from it for a terminal period of time.
I've thought a lot lately about who's reading this blog and wondered why? My theories are as follows:
  1. In the beginning while my father was still alive it was a great place to find stories and create a living memorial. Many people still found themselves in shock at the prospect of Bob's passing and were seeking a connection. In addition to the connection, the blof provided a place to get current information.
  2. Then more immediately after his passing, the blog served as a sacred place to reconnect with Bob (and all the Cooks) through the sharing of stories.
  3. Finally, for those who still come it's about curiosity and a new habit. Checking in with this blog has become a part of your routine. It might be daily or it might be less often.
Am I on track? Way off track?

For me, this blogging journey has nourished me in so many ways. I'll share just a few that come to mind (of course, my mind has decided to go blank at this opportune moment):

  • It's afforded me the opportunity to hear so many stories about my father that I had never heard allowing me to see him from so many different perspectives that had I looked at from before. So often I could see my father from only one view as a daughter and that's pretty one dimensional. As I've grown that perspective has shifted, but it was in the moment. Now I'm looking at my father in so many angles from so many different times in my life.
  • Blogging has pushed me to deal with my grief and sadness now. And from this, I have been able to be stronger than I ever imagined I could be. I can go through my father's personal letters, videos and pictures and not just cry, but learn more about my father, my mother, my grandfather, my aunts, my uncles and my brothers thus connecting with the past to move into the future. What a gift.
  • I'm writing. I always thought that I was the worst writer or that what I had to say was not particularly valuable. But from the blog, I have gone from a compiler of other peoples word to a composer of my own.
There's lots more to add and I might just save this list on a separate page so that I can update it everyday as I know there's a lot more I should capture so that I can keep it with me.

3 Enlightened thoughts:

Meghan Maguire Dahn said...

I love the work you're doing, here, Sarah.

I know, for myself, that blogging helps me organize my thoughts: it puts them into a sphere that gives me the distance to gain new perspectives about all this gobbledigook in my head. I also think the relatively casual format of blogs is really useful. It allows me to just put ideas, phrases, whatever out there without necessarily having to worry how polished they are.

From the perspective of a reader, blogs are so often these wonderful views of people's inner lives. I consider it an important practice, to spend some time every week really paying attention to another person's perspective. Blogs, I think, help with that.

Gina Benoit said...

Sarah, we all appreciate the blog and that you are continuing it. For some of us, it's a way to stay connected with Bob and his family. I LOVE reading all of the "Bob stories". Thank you. Gina Benoit

Sarah said...

I find that I want to share, to keep the connections that exist alive and well. I also like to discover who's reading whether it's passing comment to me in person or to someone who sees me, it helps to keep my focus.