Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cookie the trainer

Sarah,
We've never met, but I got your email through my mom, Ellen Donohue. I wanted to extend my thoughts and well wishes to you, your family, but most of all to your dad. Below I have a story about my experience with your dad and the impact he had on me. He is a truly wise person. I'm lucky to have known him.
Gabe Graber-Mitchell

Knowing what I know about Bob, I think the following statement might hold true for many, many people. I was only briefly involved in Bob's life, but he played a big role in my life and had a tremendous influence on who I am as a person.

I was a student in one of the classes he taught at The Hartford back in early 1998. Bob was not the person I was expecting to see at the front of the class; his appearance and style can be a little disarming. It took all of ten minutes to realize that he was going to be a fun guy to guide me on the journey I was about to embark. As a young kid entering a new career in a completely different field and feeling a little out of place, I was in way over my head.

For many people in his role, it would have been pretty easy to approach what he was doing as simply a job. However, for me, this class was such a huge step forward and a transformative event in my life. Looking back, I can't imagine a better teacher than Cookie. He approached things in a way where everyone participating got the impression the class was personally tailored to them, and because of Bob's talents, they were absolutely right. His patience, encouragement, and confidence in my abilities during a pretty stressful period in my life helped guide me through. Countless times he was able to give me the right push at the right time to succeed. I give much of the credit for my professional career to the lessons I learned during Bob's class.

Bob's direct influence on my life didn't end there. I remember talking with Bob about his life and how work fit into it. I was so impressed how Bob balanced work around play; he skied more days in the winter than I thought humanly possible. I realized then that Bob was one of those wise people who had it figured out. For a kid trying to figure adulthood and life out, Bob's life balance provided an example that I still look up to. The following winter he and I chatted about Ski Watch and he helped get me signed up, which was a huge blast for me.

I've since moved away from Connecticut and haven't kept in touch with Bob. But I often think of him. Whenever I go skiing, whenever I see someone with a big ol' white beard, countless difficult times at work, Bob is in my thoughts. I thanked him at the end of my class, but I certainly didn't understand at that time the extent of the gratitude I was trying to express.

Thanks Cookie, for who you are and what you so willingly gave to me.

0 Enlightened thoughts: