Friday, March 21, 2008

Nobody ever weasled!!!

Good Evening to you Sarah and the Cook Family,

I too was very shocked when Gina & Moose sent me the news about Bob. Please accept my very best to each of you, and to Bob in particular, during these trying
times.

I first met Bob and Merrill because of Melissa's involvement with volleyball leagues and weekend activities at her many friends' homes. By the time I came along Melissa was already a very good player (in my eyes). I, on the other hand, quite the novice but with a keen interest. I first met Bob at an outdoor tournament and then a few subsequent volleyball get-togethers. Aside from always being very welcoming and friendly, Bob did take me aside one time and asked if I really had an interest in playing volleyball. When remarking that I did, he just said "Good, keep at it". LOL, a very subtle way to let me know I was still a novice, but welcomed. He knew I had a good teacher!

I always enjoyed Bob and Merrill's company and tried to make it every year to their July 4th party. I'd get to watch the sand court players having a go at it.
Bob and Merrill were at their very best during those times, surrounded by their many friends and family members. I always thought how awesome that was....
One year (1997) I received "you're a grandpa" news at his house when my oldest grandchild, Shyann, was born on the 4th of July!! Bob was happy for me, but then, he is that way.

One cold winter night I ventured off to New London to watch Melissa play in one of her indoor league games. Bob and Merrill were also there. Bob and I sat in the bleachers rooting for our girl's team. One of them spiked the ball over the net, but it landed out of bounds right in front of us. Although called out by the other team and the umpire, Bob and I started
yelling back, that no, it was in bounds at best, or on the line at worst. The umpire, who hadn't a clear view, was swayed by our persistence that the other team was wrong, and we, sitting right there, were correct. Call went our way!! That was fun Bob, and I know our team appreciated our input, even though they knew it was out LOL

I've been away from Connecticut since 2003 but I stayin touch through Moose & Gina and always ask them to pass on my greetings. I hope you know you are in my thoughts and prayers during this time. Excuse me for plagiarizing here, but I too feel very fortunate tohave weaseled my way into the Cook's lives, and for them, for accepting.

Bill Lang

0 Enlightened thoughts: