Shared by Michael McChesney
Bob has got to be the friendliest person I’ve had the pleasure of playing with or against. Volleyball, while a passion for Bob, seemed to be a very effective tool for making new friends. I remember in particular a tournament he hosted at his home around 1997, while I was attending Uconn. While I wasn’t the worst player there, I certainly wasn’t the best (an honor reserved for John Roberts and Matt Hurlock). I was incredibly nervous, but Bob’s generosity and kindness was obvious by the amount of fun people were having, joking with him whether playing or watching. It was a beautiful day, and I was comfortable with my constant losses to better opponents. Afterwards, Bob told stories while we all shared some beers in the house. It was certainly one of the best tournaments I ever participated in, although I still can’t remember who won...probably John.
Over the years I’ve seen Bob at Winsted, gallantly playing triples against teams whose combined ages don’t match his. That incredible beard of his dancing in the wind, occasionally getting caught in his mouth or covering his eyes during a particularly hardfought point. Thanks for your friendship over the years, Bob!

0 Enlightened thoughts:
Post a Comment