Thursday, March 27, 2008

How to be Bob's favorite

kind words from Jack McLarney



I met Bob when he was my instructor for a training class at The Harford in 1999. In those nine weeks I learned a lot, and we all had a great time. As a teacher myself I learned even more about teaching in general than I did about computers. He was so interesting, energetic, and humorous that it was impossible not to learn a great deal. After a couple weeks of class he had a room full of adults vying for the title of “Bob’s favorite”. I still remember quite a bit from that class:

“I really like ‘That 70’s Show’ because I remember the 70’s.”

“Jeff, if you can answer this question you will be my all-time favorite.”

Concerning his 17 part questions: “One’s wrong, they’re all wrong!”

“What’s a SOC4? To keep your foot warm.” (I know it's lame, but he made it funny somehow.)

I asked a question at the very end of a class as everyone was about to leave. During his 20 minute answer Bob pretended not to notice another student glaring at me in anger. When he was finally done, “If Jack doesn’t have any more questions we are done for the day. Jack, do you have any more questions? Are you sure you don’t have any MORE questions?”

A less than mature student bragged about how drunk he got Friday night and stated that his only mistake was driving home on the highway because of the prevalence of police.

Bob: “That was your only mistake?”

Student: “Yep.”

Bob: “So, that was your only mistake the entire night?”

Student: “Yep.”

Bob: “You mean to say that for the ENTIRE night that was your ONLY mistake?”

Student: “Ya. Why?”

Bob finally just shook his head and moved on to the next student.

We would get a short break every time a “babe” that Bob knew came into the classroom to say hello. We had lots of breaks.

I still teach a night class and Bob is my single greatest influence as an instructor. I find myself using his techniques every class, to the point of shamelessly ripping him off on occasion.

Bob Cook was a great teacher and an even better individual, as can be seen by the large number of people whose lives he has touched.

0 Enlightened thoughts: